Judith Slaying Holofernes- Artemisia Gentileschi
Depicted is a popular Baroque painted scene, however, this one is special. Not only was it painted by a woman, but the Judith character is a self portrait and the Holofernes character was her rapist. She went through tons and tons of torture for her to recant the charge, but she went through every single one and never recanted. His sentence? What is equivalent to one dollar in today’s economy. She also refused to marry him, which was the other part of his sentence. She painted several of these scenes, however, and they were posted in several churches. The man would forever have to go into chapels, and see the woman he raped, beheading him.
Needless to say, this woman is my hero. She is incredibly brave and creative.
- edge-of-pink reblogged this from vikingsheart
- subliminallyemazing reblogged this from vikingsheart
- whoremarzombie reblogged this from repulsed
- timeswhenlucywasright likes this
- santopatrono reblogged this from perr0
- robynthebank likes this
- perr0 reblogged this from repulsed
- repulsed reblogged this from vikingsheart
- vikingsheart posted this